The economics department provides mentorship and academic support to help students achieve their goals.
Curious about awards and honors for economics students? See award descriptions below.
|Professor||Teaching and Research Areas||Office||Office Hours (Fall '21)|
Environment, Recycling, Energy, and Climate Policy
M 2:30-3:30 pm, T/Th 5-6 pm, Or send me an email and make an individual appointment on Fridays.
|Lesley Chiou||Industrial Organization, Information and Technology, and Arts & Media Markets||Fowler 221||
M:1:30-2:55pm, T:2:30-3:25pm, Th:1:30-1:55pm
|Daron Djerdjian||Trade, Political Economy, Development, and Austrian Economics||Fowler 413||
|Jorgen Harris||Labor and Economics of the Family||Fowler 208||
M: 12-1pm, W: 5-6pm, F: 4-5pm
|Andrew Jalil||Macroeconomics, Economic History, Financial Crises, and the Great Depression||Fowler 215||
M/W: 2:00-2:30 pm and 4:00-4:30 pm in Stearns Tent. Additional office hours for the week of Sep 20-24: Thur Sep 23 from 11:50 am - 12:20 pm in Weingarten tent and Fri Sep 24 from 2-2:30 pm in Stearns tent.
|Brandon Lehr||Microeconomic Theory, Public Economics, and Behavioral Economics||Fowler 217||
W 10:30-11:30 am https://occidental.zoom.us/j/89181723213
305-Focused Open OH: W 4-5 pm https://occidental.zoom.us/j/86254277913
308-Focused Open OH: W 5-6 pm https://occidental.zoom.us/j/86254277913
|Mary Lopez||Labor, Immigration, Race, Gender, and Poverty||Fowler 214||
|Jesse Mora||International Trade, Development, and Applied Microeconomics||Fowler 216||
Tues/Thurs 12:00 - 1:00 pm in Mosher 2, Tues/Thurs 1:00 - 1:30 pm virtual meeting, and by appointment.
|Diana Ngo||Applied Microeconomics, Development, and Health||Fowler 213||
|Daryl Ono||Accounting and Corporate Finance||Fowler 206||
|Woody Studenmund||Applied Econometrics and Managerial Economics||Fowler 224||On leave|
|Victoria Umanskaya||Environmental & Resource Economics and International Trade||Fowler 412||
M/W/F 12:00 - 1:00 pm
|Kirsten Wandschneider||European Monetary and Financial History, International Macroeconomics, Development of Financial Institutions and Markets||Fowler 224||
|Kevin M. Williams||Education, Applied Econometrics, Data Science, and Labor||Fowler 225||T 3:30-5:00pm & W 10:30-12:00|
|Jason Wong||Aviation and Regional Economies, Environmental Economics, Development Policy, and the Economics of Language||Fowler 223||
T 3:30-5pm (in-person, walk-in) W 3:30-5pm (by appointment: https://tinyurl.com/WongOH)
- Bennett W. Schwartz Award. This award is given to a graduating senior majoring in Economics who is deemed outstanding and best in his or her class by the department faculty.
- Outstanding Junior Award. This award recognizes juniors who have distinguished themselves for outstanding academic achievement and potential. (Note: For the purpose of this award, "juniors" are students we expect to graduate in the academic year following the one when we consider them for the award.)
- Jim Halstead Award. This award recognizes an Economics major (in any class) for outstanding contributions to helping others learn economics. The Department faculty selects the winner from a pool of candidates nominated by Oxy students who have taken classes in Economics.
- Betty Tracy Award. This award is given to an Economics major (in any class) for outstanding service to the Department.
- Robert L. Moore Award. This award recognizes the honors thesis that the department faculty judge to be of the highest quality among those awarded College Honors.
- College Honors. Seniors may receive College Honors through excellent performance throughout the major, including their performance on their senior comprehensives, and approval of the department. To be considered for admission to the Honors Program, students must have achieved a grade point average of 3.5 or higher both in Economics and overall by the end of their junior year.
- Departmental Letter of Commendation. Seniors who do not receive College Honors will be considered for this recognition if they have achieved a grade point average of 3.5 or higher both in Economics and overall.
- "Pass with Distinction" on the Senior Comprehensives. Seniors will be considered for this recognition if they receive a grade of A- or above in their Senior Seminar or Senior Thesis (Economics 495 or 490).
- Selection for membership in Omicron Delta Epsilon, the international honor society for Economics. Seniors will be eligible for selection if their academic standing is in the upper one-third of the class of graduating Economics majors.