Highlighting new scholarly work, awards, grants and other news in the Oxy Economics department.
- Linnea Dewees ’14, an economics major from Tampa, Fla., who is teaching in Thailand is an Occidental 2019-20 Fulbright winner.
- Diana Ngo is a co-PI on a NSF $493,000 major research instrumentation award to purchase a high-performance computer cluster to support faculty research and teaching across the scientific disciplines.
- Kevin Williams publishes "Academic Achievement Across the Day: Evidence from Randomized Class Schedules" in the Economics of Education Review.
- Jorgen Harris, a labor economist, joins the economics department.
- Wafa Abedin '21, Reese Ingraham '20, Jordan Walker '21, and Mary Zhang '21 present their summer research at Oxy's 20th Annual Undergraduate Research Conference.
- Bevin Ashenmiller is interviewed by reporter Sarah Gonzalez for an episode of NPR’s podcast “Planet Money” on the economics of recycling.
- Robby Moore retires after 41 years at Oxy.
- Economics majors from Oxy's Blyth Fund team take second place in Stanford Finance’s Stock Pitch Championship, which attracts teams from across the country.
- Lesley Chiou is invited by the Federal Communications Commission to present her research on the effects of Internet diffusion on pricing and competition in offline markets.
- Diana Ngo publishes “Commuting to educational opportunity? School choice effects of mass transit expansion in Mexico City” (joint with Andrew Dustan) in the Economics of Education Review.
- The Federal Trade Commission invites Lesley Chiou as a panelist for its Public Hearings on Competition and Consumer Protection in the 21st Century.
- Brandon Lehr is awarded the Linda and Tod White Teaching Prize.
- Kevin M. Williams, an education economist, joins the economics department.
- Nelson Rayl '19 and Andrew McCall '19 present their summer research at Oxy's 19th Annual Undergraduate Research Conference.
- The Economics Department is profiled in "Economies of Scale" from the Summer 2018 Oxy Magazine.
- Diana Ngo publishes "A theory-based living standards index for measuring poverty in developing countries" in the Journal of Development Economics.
- Jesse Mora publishes “Firms in International Trade” (joint with Alan Spearot and Federico Diez) in the Handbook of International Trade and Transportation.
- Mary Lopez publishes her new book (joint with Dolores Trevizo), Neighborhood Poverty and Segregation in the (Re-)Production of Disadvantage: Mexican Immigrant Entrepreneurs in Los Angeles.
- Kirsten Wandschneider is appointed as a Research Fellow in the Economic History Program at the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR).