A variety of research opportunities are available to students during the summer.
If you are interested in conducting research over the summer, the URC is here to help! Please start by taking a look at the various program links (below) to find out what's available. Once you've identified the program(s) you want to apply for, please contact us with any questions.
The Occidental College Summer Research Program is the largest program we offer and it is open to students of any major. If you are interested in applying, be sure to watch your emails in order to receive updates about virtual info sessions, or for application deadline reminders. The deadline to apply for the 2021 Occidental Summer Research Program is February 8, 2021 by 5 pm PT.
Faculty-sponsored and other named programs may be limited to specific majors -- carefully read each program description and the application instructions. Other programs may have different deadlines from those sponsored by the URC -- please click on the link of the program that is of interest to you and be sure to take note of the requirements and deadlines that you must meet! Some programs will not update their deadlines until much closer to summer, so be sure to check their websites often!
You may apply to more than one Occidental summer research opportunity but must submit a separate cover sheet and proposal package for each. Typically Oxy students will be offered only one college-sponsored opportunity. Program administrators will compare overlapping applications and determine the best fit for each project in order to allow for as many students as possible to receive funding.
URC/College-Coordinated Summer Research Opportunities
- Occidental's Summer Research Program (SRP)
- Faculty Sponsored Research
- Argonaut Summer Research Writing Fellowship (Suspended for SRP 2021)
- ASP Research Travel
- Billington Student Research Fellowship in US History
- City of Hope
- Gerken Fellowship
- Institute for the Study of Los Angeles (ISLA) Fellowship (Please email Prof. Axelrod directly for information about the 2021 ISLA fellowships)
- Mellon 2021: Arts and Urban Experience Initiative
- Mellon 2021: Arts and Technology Initiative
- Richter International Fellowship
- Stauffer [John Stauffer Charitable Trust] - Chemistry
UEP/College-Coordinated Summer Internships that may involve research and allow for presentation at the URC Summer Research Conference.
- UEPI Summer Internship Program:
Research at other institutions