ASP Conference Travel Grants are available to students who are presenting the results of their research work which was completed while a student at Occidental.
ASP Conference Travel Grant Funding, Eligibility, Requirements
Funds will be awarded to full-time degree-seeking students on a competitive basis.
Grants are limited to a max of $600. It may be that the ASP Conference Travel Grant cannot be the sole support for conference participation.
Each student is limited to one ASP Conference grant per academic year and, in most circumstances, will not receive funding to present for a second time at the same conference in subsequent years.
Each student is required to individually present their own work - group presentations for a single poster or paper will not be supported.
All projects with an international travel component are subject to a pre-departure clearance process through IPO before funding will be awarded. If you are planning to travel abroad, we strongly advise submitting your application at least six weeks in advance of your intended travel date.
See the URC’s Applications & Reports Portal for full application instructions and submission.
Applications must be submitted four weeks before the conference, and documentation of one's acceptance as a presenter must be included. If you are presenting at a conference during winter break note that the campus is closed from December 15, 2023, to January 3, 2024. Applications must be submitted 4-6 weeks before the closure to provide ample time for review.
Reports must be submitted no later than two weeks after you return from the conference.
The final day for 2023-24 AY requests is April 22, 2024.
Southern California Conference for Undergraduate Research (SCCUR)
Abstract Submission Final Deadline: October 9 at 11:59 pm
Registration Deadline: November 10 at 11:59 pm
California State University, Fullerton will host the 2023 Annual SCCUR Conference on Saturday, November 18th.
You can visit the SCCUR 2023 website for an overview of the conference and to submit your abstract. The 2023 Summer Research Program fellows are particularly encouraged to apply! You must apply to present your work by submitting a proposal in the form of a brief abstract to the conference organizers for review. Abstracts are then accepted, rejected, or returned for revision and resubmission. Note to list "Occidental College" under the University Affiliation.
As always, the URC will sponsor the registration fee for all students whose work is accepted to present, as well as for attending faculty. There is no need to apply for an ASP Conference Travel to receive funding for the registration fee. Simply enter the promo code Oxy2023 during registration on Eventbrite.
National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) 2024
NCUR 2024 will take place April 8-10, 2024 in Long Beach, CA.
NCUR promotes undergraduate research, scholarship, and creative activity in all fields of study. Through this conference, they strive to create a unique environment that celebrates and promotes student achievements, provides examples of exemplary research, scholarship, and creative activity, and improves the state of undergraduate education. The conference attracts thousands of students from around the world who present their research through various mediums. Visit the NCUR 2024 page for all event details, timelines, and FAQs.
Abstract Submission Deadline: December 8
NCUR 2024 notifications sent to abstract authors: January 11
URC ASP Conference Travel Application Due: January 16 by 5 pm
URC ASP Conference Travel Notifications: January 26
Early-Bird Registration Window: January 11 - 31
Regular Registration Window: February 1 - March 1
Guidelines for NCUR Abstract Submission and Registration:
- Create a new NCUR 2024 account on the NCUR Registration Portal.
- Note: A new NCUR account must be created each year; information does not carry over from year to year.
- Write your abstract and review it with your faculty mentor. Once finalized submit your abstract to NCUR using their online site by December 8.
- Note: You must list Karla Hernandez (firstname.lastname@example.org) as the "Campus Coordinator" when submitting your abstract to ensure we receive notification of your submission and acceptance.
- A maximum of one student author per accepted abstract will be funded. Joint presentations are not permitted.
- Oxy has an Institutional-Enhanced Membership. This membership allows Oxy students to receive the Student-Enhanced CUR Member discounted registration rate for NCUR 2024. Students, fill in the form at www.cur.org to activate your enhanced membership before registration.
- Once accepted to present at NCUR at the time of registration you can select “Bill Me” at checkout so that your fees will be included in Oxy’s group invoice.
- ASP Conference Travel grants will be awarded to students who have not received funding for prior NCUR conferences. We highly recommend attending a professional conference related to your research. Consult with your mentor to find the right forum for you.
- Students can only apply for one ASP Conference Travel grant per academic year. Those who have already received one or plan to apply for another conference are ineligible for NCUR funding.
- The NCUR ASP Conference Travel application is available on the URC Moodle.
- ASP Conference Travel for NCUR is due to URC by January 16, 2024.