There are four (4) email lists that correspond to the student classification (Senior, Junior, Sophomore, Frosh), which are only to be used to address a specific class for a class-specific purpose. These lists are:
Please make a note of these guidelines when submitting your request to the class lists:
- If your email is not class-specific and is intended for the general student body, the email should be addressed to the Student Email List at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that if your request is not designed for or addressed to a specific class (or classes - up to two (2)), your request will likely be discarded.
- Only limited exceptions will be made relating to this matter. It will depend on the content and priority of the email/message. Please correspond directly with Kerri Miller at email@example.com, if you have any questions relating to this.
- Please submit your requests at least 24-hours in advance of your event.
- If your request is submitted after 12-noon on Friday, please be aware that your request may be delayed until the next business day.
- Requests, generally, are not approved on the weekends and/or during college-wide holidays.
- If your request is approved, please note that only one additional reminder will be approved. Multiple email reminders will be automatically discarded.
Please note that the class list servs are only intended to address a specific class for a class-specific purpose (e.g., graduation info for seniors).
Note: The use of these email lists by administrators and staff is subject to the Electronic Communication Policy in the Employee Handbook (available through Human Resources).
There are two employee lists at Occidental College:
When an employee of the College sends a message to a list they are a member of, it goes out immediately without any approval being required.
Employees who are non-members of a list, such as a Faculty member sending to the All Staff list or Staff member sending to the Faculty list, can send to the list and it will be moderated for approval prior to being delivered. If someone who is not an employee, such as a student, club, or departmental account sends a message to the list, the message will be held for moderator approval. Messages from non oxy.edu addresses will be rejected.
List membership exceptions will be made for departments, offices and individuals that need to send to all lists without delay. Moderation approval is based upon the guidelines below.
Please note that non-member emails that are sent to the lists will not be delivered immediately. During the work week, emails sent to the list by non-members should be delivered within several hours. Emails sent on weekends or after work hours may be delayed until work resumes.
- The use of these lists is reserved for College related purposes.
- All messages must be of some general interest to members of the list.
- All messages must have the date, time and location of the event and a descriptive subject. Avoid using relative time descriptors such as “tomorrow” or “this afternoon” as messages may not be delivered immediately.
- Events may be publicized a maximum of two times.
- No personal "Lost & Found", "For Sale", "For Rent" or "Wanted" posting. Oxy Club/Organization For Sale ads and the like are allowed.
- No "thank you" messages.
- Messages must be sent at least 24 hours before the event (or on Friday for events on the next Monday).
- Messages should be no longer than 40 lines.
- The list is not a "discussion group" or "chat room".
- If there is doubt about the appropriateness of sending out a message, the decision will be made by the moderator of the list.
- It is strongly recommended that you avoid using images (such as posters) as the sole content of your announcement. Software designed to read text aloud cannot interpret words contained in an image. If you must include an image that contains the important details of your activity or notice, please repeat the details as plain text somewhere else in your message.
- PLEASE DO NOT REPLY ALL TO ANY MESSAGES SENT TO THE LISTS
The membership of these lists is maintained automatically based on information in our Human Resources system. People who are in one employment category and wish to also be on another list should contact the Dean of the College’s office for the Faculty List and Human Resources for the All Staff List. Those who are on more than one list will receive only one copy of messages sent to all of the lists.
The oxy-students-announcements-g list is a moderated email mailing list used to convey official college correspondence to the student body. Only messages of interest to the entire student body will be posted to the list. The only a people who can send messages to this list are:
- The President of the College
- The Dean of Students
- The Director of Communication
- The Director of Campus Safety
- The Registrar
If you wish to send email to this list – please send the email to the most appropriate person above and ask that they forward it to the list.
Note that email sent to this list is sent as a separate piece of email to each student. Because we require students to monitor this list, it is important that it only be used for official communications that are of interest to everyone in the student body. Thus it is NOT to be used for routine announcements of events that are on the College calendar. Events should be announced with the list firstname.lastname@example.org.
The membership of this list is maintained automatically. Students cannot be removed from this mailing list.
The Oxy Student Email List is a moderated email list used to send messages to all Oxy students. To send a message to the Oxy Student Email List, simply send the email to email@example.com.
Use of the Student Email List is restricted to official Occidental College business and community announcements. This listserve is not to be used for personal communications or discussions or to address controversial issues. Profane, harassing, discriminatory, intimidating, or otherwise inappropriate comments are banned from this listserve and will not be approved.
- Messages must be approved by the moderator 24 hours before the event. Please note that the moderator is only available Monday through Friday, 9:00am-4:00pm. For example, messages for events on a Monday must be sent Friday before 4:00pm.
- The same event can be advertised a maximum of four times but not more than twice in the same week.
- The date, time and location of the event if appropriate.
- Please limit the message length to 40 lines.
When posting to the email list, please be mindful of the following policies:
Use of Vendors on Campus:
Students may not seek on-campus solicitations for personal financial gain (see Commercial Use of the College policy)
Commercial Use Policy:
“Students and staff may not establish or operate a business on campus property for personal profit, nor may they use campus facilities to conduct any portion of such businesses."
Reviewed/Updated by VP/CIO October 2023