All first-year students take two FYS courses: One in the fall semester and another in the spring semester of your first year.
- Only new first-year students should register for a First Year Seminar. Transfer and exchange students are exempt from the FYS requirement and should not register for a seminar.
- Students should only register for one FYS course during the fall semester.
To register for your fall semester FYS, please follow the steps below:
- Choose your preferred FYS course in advance. Make a list of about 5-10 seminars, ranked in order of your preference. Make a note of the 4-digit CRN (Course Reference Number) for each course on your list. The CRN can be found at “Course Counts” within myOxy or at counts.oxy.edu (choose Fall 2021 on the “Semester” menu and First Year Seminars on the “Subject” menu)—it’s the blue number at the far left of the row for each course. Clicking on it will also give you the course description.
- At 9 a.m. PDT on Monday, June 21, registration will open. Below are step-by-step instructions on how to add a class using the online registration system:
• Go to myOxy, enter your username and password
• Go to the Academics link on the left side of the webpage
• Select 2021 Fall Semester from the Select a Term menu and click Submit
• In the “My Academics” box, click the Add or Drop Classes link. Enter the following six-digit PIN when prompted: 202505
• Near the bottom of the screen, enter the four-digit CRN for your chosen First Year Seminar
• Click on Submit Changes
If the seminar is already full, the system will tell you that it is closed. If this happens, select your next choice until you are registered into a FYS.
3. When you have successfully registered for your FYS course, you will see a screen that says Current Schedule. This serves as a confirmation of the seminar that you selected.
Note: If a special circumstance prevents you from having internet access on June 21, or if you have questions, please contact the Core Program by June 14 at email@example.com to arrange alternate means of registering. If you encounter difficulties while trying to register online, you can get help from the Registrar's office via Zoom. Find out more information about joining the registration support Zoom meeting.
Students who do not register for a FYS seminar by the deadline will be placed into a seminar by the director of the Core Program.
What if I didn’t get into the seminar I wanted?
We know it can be disappointing if you are not able to get into your choice seminar. An important part of the First Year Seminar experience is the small class sizes which allow for a lot of interaction between students and professors. Unfortunately, this also means that there are a limited number of seats available for each seminar and we are not able to add additional students once we reach capacity.
If you didn’t get into your first choice seminar, be sure to register for another seminar—it’s important that all first-year students have an FYS on their schedule. Many students have told us that they ended up loving the seminar they took, even though they were initially disappointed not to get into their first choice.
While there are no waitlists for FYS courses, you may want to occasionally check Course Counts to see if a seat opens up. If you do see an open seat, you can contact the Core Program to see if you can be switched into the seminar.