Remain fully enrolled at Occidental and earn 16 in-residence credits while conducting a fulltime internship at a government agency, think-tank, non-governmental organization, elected officials' offices, etc.
Junior status during participation
Target GPA of 3.2 at the time of application
Appropriate and well articulated scholarly purposes for participation demonstrated in all parts of the application
Neither on academic or disciplinary probation nor under investigation for code of conduct violations which may result in probation between application and departure
All holds must be cleared with campus departments and offices before leaving campus
This is a two-tier application process. You must apply both to IPO and to WII for approval.
Courses & Internship
Usually a maximum of 8 credits (two courses) will be applied toward the POLS* major. Exceptions considered by the Chair on a case-by-case basis.
internship 8 credits
(4 credits College elective, 4 credits POLS internship)
Oxy students have interned at:
- US Department of the Treasury - Office of Legislative Affairs
- US Department of Justice - Criminal Division
- Embassy of the Republic of Iraq
- Ameson Education and Cultural Exchange Foundation
- With Congressman Adam Schiff
...and can also intern at the International Foundation for Electoral Systems. See Professor Jennifer Piscopo for more information regarding that program.
internship seminar 4 credits - Reflections on Public Service, Leadership and Professional Development
thematic seminar 4 credits - select one course
- US Foreign policy (equivalent to POLS major international relations requirement)
- Women and Global Leadership (equivalent to POLS American Politics major elective)
- Environmental Policy (equivalent to POLS American Politics major elective)
- Inside Washington (equivalent to POLS American Politics major elective)
Housing & Meals
Interns share program apartments in nearby Virginia, a short commute by Metro.
Meals are on your own in the apartment kitchen or many restaurants.
As with Occidental at the United Nations, participants are charged Occidental tuition and standard double room for the semester. The College pays the program fee to WII and rent, and IPO issues a stipend for local transportation. Meals are purchased on your own, but Financial Aid eligible students may have the cost of meals included in their total package. Consult with Financial Aid.
Want to know more?
Dr. Caroline Heldman, Chair, Politics
Dr. Thalia Gonzalez, Politics