Students and a professor talking

If you plan to travel during academic breaks, please read below to make sure your documents are in order.

Traveling outside the U.S.

  • Please submit this form if you are traveling abroad. This will ensure that we are notified of your outside travels.

  • Please visit IPO before you leave, so we can check your documents. Sometimes we may need to produce a new I-20/DS-2019 before your departure. A signature of a DSO/RO from the International Programs is required on your documents every twelve months for continuing students.  Graduated students engaging in OPT or STEM Extension need a new signature on the I-20 every 6 months.

  • Please carry your valid passport, a valid F1 or J1 visa stamp in the passport, all I-20s or DS-2019, supporting documents and your Oxy ID when traveling outside the U.S. Do not pack them in a suitcase but have them ready with you, so you can show them at the port of entry. 
  • Check that the F-1/J-1 visa stamp in your passport is still valid.  If not, you will need to apply for a new one before returning to the U.S.

  • Make sure your passport is still valid.  If it is within 6 months of expiring, contact your embassy of consulate to start the renewal process.

  • Executive Order Travel Ban Update: The June 26th (2018) Supreme Court decision to uphold some restrictions does not apply to international students and scholars (NAFSA: Association of International Educators).

Traveling within the U.S.

  • Please carry your immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019, passport, I-94 information), or minimally copies of these documents.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • You need to carry your valid passport (with a valid stamp), as well as I-20 or DS-2019 signed by a DSO/RO within six months.

  • You should also carry your Oxy student ID as proof of your active student status.

  • If you are traveling to other than your home country or the United States: This includes Canada or Mexico. Each country has its own rules about who needs a visa to enter and who doesn't. The best way to find out is to call the consulate or embassy of the country you will visit and ask. Be sure you let them know of which country you are a citizen of. Most consulates are over on the Westside down in the Wilshire area.

No. Have your I-20 or DS-2019 signed once every twelve months.

Before your passport expires, call or visit your consulate or embassy. They will help with the paperwork. Start the process in advance of any expected travel or the expiration date.

Your I-20 or DS-2019 expires on the date listed on your document. Your I-20 or DS-2019 is only valid if you are doing what your document says: attending Occidental College full time. If you anticipate any breaks in your academic progress (semester off, transfer, illness, etc.), please contact the International Programs immediately for advice.

Contact International Programs
McKinnon Center for Global Affairs, Johnson 102