Teaching abroad can be an exciting and rewarding experience, unmatched in the campus classroom. Please begin planning two years in advance.
Please review the College Policy and Proposal.
Academic Year 1 – Preliminary Proposal Exploration & Development
- Spring: Consult with IPO, department chair, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs.
- Mid-April: Preliminary proposal DUE to IPC. IPC selects proposals for full development.
- Summer: Develop full proposal and attend series of 3 collaborative proposal development workshops offered in-person and/or remotely June and July.
Academic Year 2 – Full Proposal Development
- October 15: Full Proposal due to IPO/IPC for implementation in the subsequent academic year (Academic Year 3). Full proposal includes: itinerary, budget, contracts with Occidental’s program partners such as IES, CIEE, or other appropriate organization.
- November: Selected candidates work with Chair to include in Year 3 course grid; IPO includes in College Budget Process for Year 3.
Academic Year 3 – Course Implementation
- China (Contemporary History) - Spring '25+summer travel
- Italy (Art History)
- Spain (Spanish Literary Studies)
- Austria (Music History)
- Costa Rica & Panama (Tropical and Marine Biology)
- Germany & Poland (History)
- Turkey (Religious Studies)
Professor Eric Frank has also provided relevant sample application pieces.