Occidental College holds a Type 47 liquor license from the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)

The license governs the terms of sale and service of wine, beer, and spirits at events for internal and external clients. All alcohol purchasing, storage, and service on Campus is managed by Campus Dining. No other entity (department, caterer or bartending service) may serve alcohol on Oxy's Campus.

PRICES & SELECTIONS (Oxy access only - external client? Please request a quote)


Because Oxy is located in a zoned residential neighborhood, the licensing process required a zoning variance from the City of Los Angeles, The variance specifies 17 locations for alcohol service at events. These locations include most academic and administrative buildings, and their surrounding outdoor spaces. Residence Halls and their outdoor spaces are excluded. 

All alcohol request requires a minimum of 2 weeks notice.

Other than at the 17 approved locations (and at addresses other than 1600 Campus Road) events with alcohol require obtaining a caterer's permit. Minimum 30 days notice is required. A $200 fee will apply.


Q: Can Oxy serve "cash & carry" alcohol?

A: No, the College's license and the zoning variance are for alcohol service at events only.. 

Q: Do these requirements apply to student events with alcohol?

A: Yes, all events with alcohol fall under the requirements of the liquor license. Students should work with their SLICE Programming Assistant, who will help coordinate with Campus Dining.

We are happy to discuss events on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Catering Services at (323) 259-1365 or e-mail your questions to catering@oxy.edu

Contact Campus Dining
Johnson Student Center

2nd Floor