Taking time off before enrolling at Oxy can make for a beneficial and enriching experience.
There are plenty of reasons some students choose to defer enrollment—whether it's an itch for adventure, a unique work or service opportunity or a focus on caring for a family member in need. We recognize and support these choices, and each year a handful of students take time off before at Oxy.
Here's how the deferral process works:
The deadline to request deferred enrollment for Fall 2020 has passed. If you would still like to be considered for a deferred enrollment please contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Deferral requests must be granted by the Office of Admission, who will review the requests and notify students in writing.
For first years, deferrals are granted for one year. Two years may be granted in special circumstances, such as national military or religious service. For transfers, deferrals are granted for one semester to the Spring 2021 term.
Terms for approved deferrals:
- The student is required to submit an $800 non-refundable deposit to hold a place at Occidental.
- The student may not submit deferral deposits or hold spaces at any other institutions.
- The student may not matriculate and/or enroll on a full-time basis at another college or university during the deferral period. However, students may take coursework to maintain academic focus. (A maximum of two courses will be accepted for credit at Occidental for incoming first-year students. Transfers may take up to one course during their deferment.)
- The student may not apply for admission to other colleges or universities during the deferral period.
- The student must notify all other colleges to which they have gained admission of their decision to defer enrollment at Occidental.
- First-year students are required to reconfirm their intention to enroll for Fall 2021 no later than February 1, 2021. Instructions on how to reconfirm will be sent via email in January 2021.
- Transfer students are required to reconfirm their intention to enroll for Spring 2021 no later than November 15, 2020. Instructions on how to reconfirm will be sent via email in early November.
- For first-years, if the student is a financial aid recipient, they must submit new financial aid forms (FAFSA and CSS Profile) by February 1, 2021 to be considered for financial aid. Financial aid awards will remain consistent as long as the family's financial circumstances remain consistent. (Before you finalize any plans, we strongly suggest you consult with the Financial Aid Office.)