Taking time off before enrolling at Oxy can make for a beneficial and enriching experience.
There are plenty of reasons some students choose to defer enrollment—whether it's an itch for adventure, a unique work or service opportunity or a focus on caring for a family member in need. We recognize and support these choices, and each year a handful of students take time off before at Oxy.
Here's how the deferral process works:
To request to defer your admission, fill out the Gap Year Request Form for first years or the Transfer Enrollment Deferral Request Form for transfer students. Deferral requests must be granted by the Office of Admission, who will review the requests and notify students in writing.
For first years, deferrals are granted for one year. Two years may be granted in special circumstances, such as national military or religious service. For Spring 2021 transfers, deferrals are granted for one semester to the Fall 2021 term.
Terms for approved deferrals:
- The student is required to submit an $800 total non-refundable deposit ($500 enrollment deposit and $300 deferred enrollment deposit) to hold a place at Occidental.
- The student may not submit deferral deposits or hold spaces at any other institutions.
- Fall 2021 students who are looking to take a GAP year must let the College know no later than August 1, 2021.
- The student may not matriculate and/or enroll on a full-time basis at another college or university during the deferral period. However, students may take coursework to maintain academic focus. (A maximum of two courses will be accepted for credit at Occidental for incoming first-year students. Transfers may take up to one course during their deferment.)
- The student may not apply for admission to other colleges or universities during the deferral period.
- The student must notify all other colleges to which they have gained admission of their decision to defer enrollment at Occidental.
- First-year and transfer students are required to reconfirm their intention to enroll for Fall 2022 by February 15, 2022. Instructions on how to reconfirm will be sent via email in January 2022.
- For first-years, if the student is a financial aid recipient, they must submit new financial aid forms (FAFSA and CSS Profile) by January 10, 2022 to be considered for financial aid. Financial aid awards will remain consistent as long as the family's financial circumstances remain consistent. (Before you finalize any plans, we strongly suggest you consult with the Financial Aid Office.)