Have a creative streak? We want to know about it.
If you're passionate about music, theater or visual art and plan to pursue it at Oxy, we welcome you to submit a fine arts resume with your admission application. Understand, however, that your academic qualifications will matter most in admission.
Submission of an arts supplement is not required for participation in any of the arts programs at Occidental. The arts supplement does not constitute an application to a specific major and is not required for entry into any major or minor.
Theater and music supplements will be evaluated by those respective departments. Visual art supplements will not be evaluated by faculty, but the Admission officers who read your file will view your submission when reviewing your application.
Guidelines for musicians
- Vocalists and instrumentalists should present video of at least two works of contrasting style or historical period.
- Composers should present video or audio recordings of two contrasting compositions.
- Jazz musicians should present video of a slow jazz ballad and an uptempo jazz standard.
- All musicians are encouraged to submit a music-specific resumé in addition to video recordings.
Music submissions are evaluated on the applicant's skill and capacity to contribute to the music program at Occidental. Submissions indicate the intention to participate in the music programs at Occidental.
Guidelines for theater students
- Actors should submit a short video.
- Designers and technicians should submit a digital portfolio of photographs of models, work in progress, finished projects, design drawings, technical drawings, etc.
- Playwrights should send writing samples.
- Directors and stage managers should send concept statements, blocking notes, samples from prompt books, or other means of showing your work.
- All students interested in theater are encouraged to submit a theater resumé.
Note that the theater department hosts an annual workshop for prospective students who are high school seniors each fall. Contact the Theater department for more information.
Guidelines for visual artists
- Please submit one or two images showing examples of recent work.
Frequently Asked Questions
What file sizes can I submit?
Images may be of any size, video must be less than 250 MB, audio files need to be less than 30 MB and documents must be less than 10 MB.
Could submitting an art supplement hurt my chances for admission?
No, art supplements are optional and may support a student's application, but will never hinder them in the admission process.
Can I submit other styles of art, like creative writing, dance or film?
Only music, theater and visual arts submissions will be reviewed by those respective faculty. For other types of art, please describe your involvement in your extracurricular activities list on the Common Application.
Do I need to audition in addition to submitting a supplement?
No, an audition is not required. While prospective theater majors may audition on campus it is not required and fulfills the same role as a Slideroom supplement.
Can I submit an art supplement if I don't plan to major?
Yes, students may submit a supplement for a department they do not plan to major in. Supplements are reviewed as indicators of interest and are encouraged from students who plan to be involved in the arts on campus.
If you have general arts-related questions, please contact the Office of Admission email the appropriate department contact below:
Music: Jacquelyn Moon
Theater: Beatrice Gonzales
Visual Art: Betsy Dillon