Have a creative streak? We want to know about it.
If you're passionate about music, theater, film or visual art and plan to pursue it at Oxy, we welcome you to submit a fine arts resume with your admission application. Understand, however, that your academic qualifications will matter most in admission.
Submission of an arts supplement is not required for participation in any of the arts programs at Occidental. The arts supplement does not constitute an application to a specific major and is not required for entry into any major or minor.
*Submissions must be uploaded via SlideRoom on the Common Application by each admission deadline. Students wishing to submit an artistic supplement should apply with the Common App instead of the Coalition App.
Theater, Music, and Visual Art supplements will be evaluated by those respective departments. Film and Video supplements will be evaluated by faculty members when their schedules allow. Either way, Admission Officers will have access to your submission as part of the overall application review process.
Guidelines for musicians
- Vocalists and instrumentalists should present video of at least two works of contrasting style or historical period.
- Composers should present video or audio recordings of two contrasting compositions.
- Jazz musicians should present video of a slow jazz ballad and an uptempo jazz standard.
- All musicians are encouraged to submit a music-specific resumé in addition to video recordings.
Music submissions are evaluated on the applicant's skill and capacity to contribute to the music program at Occidental. Submissions indicate the intention to participate in the music programs at Occidental.
Guidelines for theater students
- Actors should submit a short video.
- Designers and technicians should submit a digital portfolio of photographs of models, work in progress, finished projects, design drawings, technical drawings, etc.
- Playwrights should send writing samples.
- Directors and stage managers should send concept statements, blocking notes, samples from prompt books, or other means of showing your work.
- All students interested in theater are encouraged to submit a theater resumé.
Note that the theater department hosts an annual workshop for prospective students who are high school seniors each fall. Contact the Theater & Performance Studies department for more information.
Guidelines for visual artists
- Please submit up to five images showing examples of recent work.
Frequently Asked Questions
What file sizes can I submit?
Images may be of any size, video must be less than 250 MB, audio files need to be less than 30 MB and documents must be less than 10 MB.
Could submitting an art supplement hurt my chances for admission?
No, art supplements are optional and may support a student's application, but will never hinder them in the admission process.
Can I submit other styles of art, like creative writing or dance?
Theater, Music, and Visual Art supplements will be evaluated by those respective departments (Film and Video supplements will be evaluated by faculty members when their schedules allow). For other types of art, please describe your involvement in your activities list on the application, and feel free to share links to your art in the Additional Information section of the application.
Do I need to audition in addition to submitting a supplement?
No, an audition is not required. While prospective theater majors may audition on campus it is not required and fulfills the same role as a Slideroom supplement.
Should I submit an artistic supplement even if I don't plan to major in that field?
Yes! Supplements are reviewed as indicators of interest and are encouraged from students who plan to be involved in our vibrant arts community on campus.
If you have general arts-related questions, please contact the Office of Admission email the appropriate department contact below:
Music: Jacquelyn Moon
Theater: Beatrice Gonzales
Visual Art, Film and Video: Betsy Dillon