International Programs/Richter Grants
International Programs will only fund experiences that meet the criteria delineated here.
Steps to Follow
- By their published deadline, apply directly to summer study abroad programs or international internships, research, community-based programs that operate within the context of an organized student program with adequate health and safety infrastructure and travel protocols. Such programs may not be set up for an individual on a one-time, incidental basis.
- Register your plans with IPO and request funding by Mar 15 annually.
- If needed, IPO will "endorse" your application following each program’s process. Email nomination links or forms to IPO@oxy.edu.
- Experiences MUST meet all the criteria indicated below.
Grant criteria and information
- Priority for class of ‘23 or '24 students who have not studied abroad.
- Grants are on a sliding scale based on need as determined by Financial Aid.
- Applicants typically underrepresented in study abroad including STEM, 1st generation and POC strongly encouraged to apply.
- Grants are usually partial. See Financial Aid for loans or seek additional funding.
- Eligible expenses are: program tuition/fee, airfare, housing, meals & transportation.
- Priority for experiences directly related to the major or minor.
- Recipients must submit a thank you note and transcript or other verification of participation upon completion or the entire grant amount will be charged to the student account.
- Organized programs only: Established international research, internships, community-based learning, and study abroad experiences that operate within the context of an organized program with adequate health and safety infrastructure and travel protocols. Such programs may not be set up for an individual on a one-time, incidental basis.
Programs must include the following elements:
- Located in countries rated level 1 or 2 by the Department of State. Level 3 or 4 ratings will only be considered due to COVID conditions, not other threats.
- Accountable on-site staff members (or Oxy faculty-member) specifically tasked with overseeing student success including health and safety.
- Durations no less than 3 weeks due to the possibility of on-site quarantines/isolation.
- Clearly defined project/program goals and student learning objectives.
- Facilitated housing placement.
- Pre-departure travel and visa guidance.
- College approved medical and accident insurance.
- On-site orientation to local conditions, resources, health & safety.
- Published policies and procedures including:
- participant code of conduct,
- health and safety protocols,
- COVID policies,
- 24/7 emergency/crisis response procedures.